Cryogenics Engineer (Req. 401572)
Argonne National Laboratory
Lemont, Illinois (Southwest Suburb of Chicago)
Argonne National Laboratory is a Department of Energy national laboratory with over 1,500 scientists and engineers performing world-class research aimed at solving the nation's energy, environmental and security challenges. Argonne is located 25 miles southwest of Chicago on a beautiful 1,500-acre campus.
The Argonne Tandem Linac Accelerator System (ATLAS) is the world’s first superconducting linear accelerator for heavy ions at energies in the vicinity of the Coulomb barrier. ATLAS is a National User Facility and as such hosts 300-400 users each year supporting research aligned with the Office of Nuclear Physics of the Department of Energy.
In this exciting opportunity, we are seeking a cryogenics engineer to support the facility. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of operations for the ATLAS particle accelerator’s LN2 and LHe cryogenic systems and the associated Accelerator Development cryogenics system.
In this position, you will:
- Oversee daily operation of the ATLAS cryogenics system and Accelerator Development cryogenics system which requires close monitoring and hands-on involvement in the operation of these systems
- Supervise a small staff of technicians
- Developing innovative engineering solutions to achieve ATLAS goals
- Create new and improved engineered products, processes, systems, and components
- Act as subject matter expert for a Laboratory-wide helium recovery and recycling project
To be considered you must have:
- Knowledge of the fundamental physical and engineering principles that impact operation and maintenance of cryogenic systems
- Successful track record of developing and implementing innovative engineering solutions to challenging technical issues related to cryogenic systems
- Experience in managing projects including keeping requisite records, developing work plans, and communicating with scientific and technical staff
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD2 or RD3) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The basic minimum requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years or equivalent
- At a RD3 Level: Bachelor’s and 8+ years; Master’s and 5+ years; or Doctorate and 4+ years or equivalent.
Preferred candidates typically acquire the skills listed above through 10 years’ of hands on experience working with advanced cryogenic systems and a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or equivalent.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. For consideration, please apply via our website at: http://bit.ly/2cCEtuf.