Chief Technician I (Req. 401571)
Argonne National Laboratory
Lemont, Illinois (Southwest Suburb of Chicago)
Argonne National Laboratory is a Department of Energy national laboratory with over 1,500 scientists and engineers performing world-class research aimed at solving the nation's energy, environmental and security challenges. Argonne is located 25 miles southwest of Chicago on a beautiful 1,500-acre campus.
The Argonne Tandem Linac Accelerator System (ATLAS) is the world’s first superconducting linear accelerator for heavy ions at energies in the vicinity of the Coulomb barrier. ATLAS is a National User Facility and as such hosts 300-400 users each year supporting research aligned with the Office of Nuclear Physics of the Department of Energy.
In this exciting opportunity, we are seeking an experiences technician to be responsible for conducting the operation, maintenance, and upgrading of the ATLAS particle accelerator’s LN2 and LHe cryogenics systems. The individual will be responsible for independently diagnosing and troubleshooting routine problems affecting cryogenic system performance and assist in analyzing and finding resolutions to more complex problems.
In this position, you will:
- Participate in the development of detailed work plans for the maintenance, operation and technical improvement to the cryogenic systems
- Oversee and perform the implementation of work plans
- Provide as-needed training to accelerator operations staff and technicians on cryogenic related topics
- Provide support for testing accelerator hardware
- Interface with the facility users and staff maintaining and operating the ATLAS accelerator facility
To be considered you must have:
- Considerable knowledge of the practical operations and hands-on maintenance of LHe and LN2 cryogenic systems
- Some skills in understanding scientific and engineering concepts and in the technologies used at the accelerator.
- Good work-related organizational skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work closely with technical staff.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (ST2 or ST3) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The basic requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a ST2 Level: Associate’s degree and 5+ years of related experience or equivalent
- At a ST3 Level: Associate’s degree and 7+ years of related experience or equivalent
This position will have on-call responsibilities and may be required to work overtime as needed.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. For consideration, please apply via our website at: http://bit.ly/2cTL596.