Assistant Professor – Tenure Track
Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
Teaching responsibilities will include engineering and physics courses at both the introductory and advanced levels as well as introductory courses for majors and non-majors. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an active research program capable of involving undergraduate students. Serving the department in a variety of ways will also be required.
- Ph.D. in an engineering discipline, physics, or another closely related discipline (Degree must be from a regionally accredited or internationally accredited/government certified university)
- Potential to contribute to teaching mechanical design, including the use of finite-element methods and software packages
- Excellent communications skills
- Potential for excellent undergraduate teaching
- Potential for establishing an active research program involving undergraduates in one or more of the following areas: mechanical engineering, civil engineering, bio-engineering, or physics
- Experience teaching at the college/university level as a graduate assistant, instructor or above, or industrial experience
- Demonstrated commitment to collegiality when interacting with others within the University community
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multi-cultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, issues affecting women and minorities
As a public regional university (with a graduate mission), Southeast seeks candidates with a commitment to excellent undergraduate (and graduate) education and student success within the framework of the teacher-scholar model. Applications of instructional technology and pedagogical research are supported through the Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning and the Office of Online Learning. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of innovative curricula and delivery strategies, including traditional, blended and online formats, and participate in initiatives promoting student success, retention and degree completion.
Application Deadline: The position is available August 2017 and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 4, 2016.
Required Information: To apply, submit the following items online at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/semoedu/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1
- Letter of interest addressing position qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Interests
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required when offer of employment is accepted)
- Name and contact information of three current professional references
Departmental Information: The Department of Physics and Engineering Physics includes 10 full-time faculty members, 8 of whom teach physics and engineering. It offers B.S. degrees in Engineering Physics (ABET/EAC accredited), Physics, and Physics Education. It also offers a minor in Geoscience. Information regarding the Department of Physics and Engineering Physics can be found at http://www.semo.edu/physics.
University Facts: Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive regional state university with seven colleges and schools, 12,000 students, and a faculty and staff of over 1,100. Southeast, a moderately selective institution, offers baccalaureate, masters and specialist degrees, and participates in joint doctoral programs with the University of Missouri. Cape Girardeau, a historic city overlooking the Mississippi River, is the hub of a thriving county with a population of approximately 71,000. Serving a region of more than 500,000 people, it is the largest center for retail, medical, manufacturing, communications, and cultural activities between St. Louis and Memphis.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER