Reports to: Director of Upper School FLSA Status: Exempt
When Needed: 2nd Semester 2016-17 Academic Year (Late January through Mid-June, 2017)
University Prep is seeking a talented, dynamic and compassionate Upper School Physics Teacher to help us advance our vision of being an inclusive community of learners that provides an outstanding education for each individual in a diverse student population. We are looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching Science and who is passionate about teaching to middle school students and enhancing student life. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. If that sounds like you, we'd like to hear from you. Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. University Prep offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment. Position is open 2nd semester of 2016-17 School Year.
Who We Are:
University Prep is an independent school serving grades 6-12 located in an urban residential section of Seattle, WA, one of the countrys most diverse and dynamic cities. We are a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni who collaboratively create an exceptional educational experience for every student. The School is a place of great teaching and joyful learning; a community that joins together to raise up our children to be caring and productive adults; a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and a place where every family and student feels equally enfranchised and at home. To us, diversity and inclusivity are not addenda, they are embodied in all facets of our school culture. University Prep believes that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission of developing each students potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
Under minimal supervision, and on a full-time basis, teaches Upper School Science courses as needed.
- Teaches three sections of Physics and one section of Science Olympiad per semester; provides classroom instruction and management
- Conducts co-curricular activities as assigned by the Division Directors, according to the needs of the school
- Satisfactorily completes the requirements of the Individualized Teacher Improvement Plan (ITIP), as outlined in the ITIP manual
- Participates fully in the admissions process, including but not limited to attending Open House evenings, interviewing prospective students, and/or teaching mock classes
- Chaperones school events outside of normal school hours (e.g., dances, service outings, or social events) as determined by the Division Directors
- Effectively communicates with all school constituencies, including maintaining an online presence via our learning management system
- Participate in school-related functions (e.g., Back to School Night, Commencement, etc.) as determined by the Head of School
- Attends faculty and division-appropriate meetings, in-service programs and staffings
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, parents and administrators as appropriate
- Actively participates in the life of the school outside of class
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the schools documents
- Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all of the schools constituencies
- Vigorously engages in his/her own professional development
- Since safety and security are everyone's responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, lunch duty, study hall supervision, etc.