Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
Please attach Cover Letter and Writing Samples to the application.
Purpose of the Position
The position’s primary responsibility is to strengthen Thorlabs’ position as a leading manufacturer of Photonics products through the development of effective product presentations for our website, catalog, and tradeshows based upon basic information from Engineering and Business Unit Leaders. This requires close collaboration with graphic artists. Create and update technical presentations on products for the web and for the catalog. Create and maintain technical presentation material, white papers, and other collateral. In addition to writing will supply technical support to the customers, verbal or written. Create sales synergies between the product lines by being an integral part of the Thorlabs Technical Sales network. This position requires a high degree of drive, interaction, and communication with customers, sales, engineering and business leaders. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Reviews New Presentations, Web Page Updates, and other marketing materials created by technical marketers, ensuring they follow Thorlabs’ standards and are technically sound
- Has the Ability to Approve Content for Publication within our content management system
- Coordinates and Leads projects
- Writes technical content (web pages, catalog pages, sell sheets, etc.)
- Addresses internal/external feedback requiring page upgrades on our ecommerce site
- As the “gatekeeper” for product releases, ensures all documentation meets organizational standards (i.e., support documents are uploaded to the correct location, drawings adhere to internal guidelines, etc.)
- Ability to build application images that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Identifies opportunities for new products and in new markets
- Structures and organizes the job in close cooperation with business units in the United States and globally
- Aims to make customers efficient when it comes to making a buying decision
- Ability to guide graphics staff, clearly and effectively communicating desired outcomes
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- 0-3 years’ experience in related area
- Prior photonics lab experience is desirable.
- Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills for working in a team environments.
- Willing to constantly learn new technologies, new applications and new developed products. Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Able to multitask, be detail oriented, solve problems, and can work under time constraints
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English.
- Excellent organizational skills
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.