We are pleased to announce a unique opportunity with Honeywell’s Advanced Connected Sustainability Technologies (ACST) organization. This is an exciting organization focused on cutting-edge technology developments, working with various entities in research and development efforts in break-through technology. We are moving new businesses technologies into next generation products utilized by millions of people to make your world more secure.
At Honeywell, we look for people driven by a desire to contribute, be challenged and grow. Our people make Honeywell a special company and are a key competitive advantage.
The Sustainability Technologies group is looking for a highly qualified Research Scientist to apply their knowledge of low temperature (<1K) condensed matter physics for unique industrial applications. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of experimental systems and the impact of environmental parameters (e.g., temperature, pressure, electromagnetic fields, mechanical stability) on the performance of low temperature condensed matter systems and devices. Intimate knowledge of cryogenic systems and techniques is critical, as is the ability to develop innovative approaches to advance the state-of-the-art.
- Lead cryogenic research projects and small teams of scientists and engineers in role of Principal Investigator in developing new concepts and developing new technologies for future products and services
- Translate customer requirements into device and product requirements to create overall system solutions
- Apply previous in depth experience pertaining to one of the following areas, with a broad understanding of the remaining areas: design of experimental systems, low and ultralow temperature physics, mechanical or vibrational stability, electromagnetic field control, and ultrahigh vacuum
- Conduct trade studies, write research reports, write project proposals, create project cost estimates, and assist with budgeting and partner with Program Management & Project Engineer for project execution
- Implement sample environments in support of laboratory experimentation
YOU MUST HAVE
- U.S. citizenship required in order to obtain and maintain government security clearance
- PhD in Physics, Engineering or related field (or PhD degree expected within the next six months)
- 5 years of experience in low temperature condensed matter physics with cryogenics principles, systems, and standard techniques (Graduate work inclusive)
- Deep understanding of fundamental physical principles as applied to cryogenic condensed matter systems, including but not limited, to: Quantum fluids and physics of helium, cryogenic semiconducting or superconducting electronics and devices, unconventional superconductivity, spintronics, novel magnetic materials, cryogenic instrumentation.
- Extensive experimental experience with low temperature condensed matter techniques, incorporating several of the following: low and/or ultralow temperature cryogenics, mechanical motion and vibrational stability, electromagnetic fields, and ultrahigh vacuum. Examples include scanned probe microscopies and spectroscopies (STM, AFM, MFM, etc.); SQUID-based measurement techniques; cryogenic electrical transport systems; electron, neutron, or x-ray scattering applied to low temperature systems (ARPES, QENS, INS, SAXS, XRD, etc.); NMR; cryogenic particle detectors; cryogenic optical telescopes; cryogenic materials property characterization
- Recent track record of leading new technology development programs as Principal Investigator or senior research scientist (graduate work inclusive).
- Recent track record of leading or contributing to winning proposals with government funding agencies such as NASA, Air Force Research Labs, Office of Naval Research, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with modeling, simulation tools, analytical techniques, and related fields (e.g., Matlab, Mathematica, Ansys, COMSOL, SolidWorks).
- Demonstrated experience and innovation in the design, construction, and operation of sample environments
- Experience in working, collaborating, and negotiating with partners and customers
- Participation high impact projects that makes the world better
- Working in a strong culture of excellence and collaboration
- Opportunity to work in a high performing team environment
- Travel opportunities (20% – 50%)
- The mindset and management support that empowers and enables you to get the job done
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.