Scope of Position
Seeking a highly capable Application Engineer responsible for new product development in multi-carrier optical transceiver OSA, Optical Channel Monitor, MEMS based optical VOA/switch, optical tunable filters, active optical cables and other passive orientated optical sub-components, devices and modules for next generation fiber optic communication applications.
Candidate must have a strong foundation in optical physics and a high level of expertise in fiber optics and physical experiment. This position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills for working with globally distributed researchers, engineers in our commercial organizations, and customers.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise and program management support for new products and services, including driving implementation of support programs that will aid in problem diagnosis and support responsiveness.
- Modify existing designs, improve production techniques, and develop test procedures.
- Provide engineering solutions for any improper functioning of the developed products.
- Define new products to expand company's market share in current and emerging markets that include developing a product road map for specific areas of application, creating detailed functional and performance specifications.
- Provide application and maintenance support for company's products and present architectural concepts and features to customers.
- Define manufacturing flows and procedures, process qualifications and characterization criteria and introduce products from development to full manufacturing focusing on quality improvements and cost reductions.
Hours of work/work schedule
Full time (40 hours per week) but great flexibility required given the globally dispersed nature of the team.
- BS and Ph.D. required in Physics or Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience
- At least 3 years relevant experience in PhD and/or an R&D environment
- Proven track record of successful scientific publications
- Experience working in a clean room research facility
- Extensive experience of presentations in the major conference
- Candidate must be fluent in Mandarin Chinese both oral and written
- Deep knowledge in fiber optics, optical physics, material science, mechanical engineering, semiconductor and solid state physics
- High level of expertise in optical and semiconducting device fabrication and measurement
- Must have experience in optical alignment, experience with optical instrument such as lasers, optical stages, optical power meter, optical spectrum analyzer
- Must have experience with lens design and physical beam propagation analysis using Zemax
- Require knowledge of optics setup and measurement and hands-on experience in optical alignment as well as knowledge of deposition and characterization of optical thin film
- Experience in 3D CAD design with Solidworks.
- Familiarity with Labview, Python, Office, and Origin
- Experience in data analysis
- Ability to influence technical direction via communication and relationship from a remote location
- Problem solving skills demonstrated through troubleshooting on product or process related issues
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Well-developed skills in working across multiple cultures and on a globally dispersed and diverse team
- Frequent international travel expected including travels to China and Taiwan. Expected travel time 40%, but could be as high as 50%.