Santa Cruz, California
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's (BS) degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or Environmental Technology, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of chemistry and materials science and demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work effectively with an experimental team under conflicting and rigorous deadlines.
- Skill in design and performance of experiments, including knowledge of safety rules and procedures. Experience handling and knowledge of chemicals in laboratory settings.
- Willingness to routinely work with explosives and obtaining and maintaining required qualification as an Explosives Handler.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis in a safe and controlled manner, climb a ladder, and wear a respirator as needed.
In Addition, at the SES.2 Level:
- Master's degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or Environmental Technology, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of chemistry and material science.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with explosive formulation and processing, including grinding, sieving, melt casting, vacuum casting, injection molding, and formulation and pressing of plastic bonded explosives.
- Experience with fabrication of large explosive parts.
- Knowledge of LLNL programs in energetic materials or LLNL ES&H rules and regulations.
The APS Physics Job Center has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.