Ithaca, New York
Hoboken, New Jersey
New York, New York
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the synthesis of polymer resins for engineering applications (e.g. silicones, TPU, nitriles).
- Advanced knowledge of polymer resin characterization, including chemical composition and molecular weight distribution analysis.
- Experience with mechanical (and/or rheological) and structural characterization of both resin and polymer material properties, using, for example, techniques such as DMA, rotational rheometry, swelling, thermal analysis, and/or load frame testing.
- Proven ability as a creative experimentalist, and a diverse range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Authorship of peer-reviewed literature demonstrating the capacity to independently develop and execute original research.
- Advanced verbal and written communication as reflected by effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- The willingness and ability to self-direct and work independently, and to collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as required to reach research goals.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of polymer characterization, including, for example, monomer sequence distribution analysis in copolymers, or analysis of measured mechanical/rheological properties and their relationship to structure.
- Subject matter expertise in the processing and/or rheology of filled (reinforced) polymer materials for engineering/industrial applications.
- Consultative direction of scientific personnel and complex projects
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with polymer material additive manufacturing (AM), including synthesis of AM feedstock materials and/or actual AM fabrication processes.
- Experience with commercial gumstock and composite preparation processes such as roll mixing, intensive shear mixing, and/or extrusion.
The APS Physics Job Center has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.