Mississippi State, Mississippi
Hoboken, New Jersey
New York, New York
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Master's degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Metallurgical Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in nuclear material characterization equipment operations and testing as well as data gathering and reporting.
- Significant experience as a leader in the process of managing, organizing, planning, and coordinating projects with multidisciplinary teams of experts.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills including effective communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise management and external sponsors and regulators, including preparing and presenting proposals, technical briefings, and reporting results.
- Ability to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions using a high degree of independent judgment.
- Ability to secure and maintain certification in the Human Reliability Program (HRP), which includes polygraph examination, physical and psychological assessment, and random drug and alcohol testing.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Expert knowledge of nuclear material characterization and analytical chemistry techniques.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to lead and develop advanced characterization options.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expert technical knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory.
- Substantial experience working effectively with DOE and other sponsors, subject matter expert level knowledge of DOE regulations and orders pertaining to nuclear material technologies, and technical expertise with nuclear materials and demonstrated understanding of operational and experimental safety issues.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Metallurgical Engineering, or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of state-of-the art technologies in the characterization equipment for nuclear materials, experience with nuclear facility management and conduct of operations in a nuclear facility, and/or experience as a Fissile Material Handler.
The APS Physics Job Center has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.