Quantum Design Inc. manufactures specialized scientific equipment including automated cryogenic material characterization systems, superconducting high-field magnets, atomic force microscopes, and other correlative microscopy tools. Our instruments are widely used in leading research institutions and are considered reference standards for magnetic and physical property measurements. We enable fundamental research in thousands of universities and labs around the world. Quantum Design’s research and production facilities are in San Diego, California.
We are searching for an Applications Scientist to join our team.
- Identify new measurements and technologies that QD could develop and market. - Provide early feedback and design support to engineering/R&D on the capabilities of new and existing measurement equipment/capabilities. - Attend and provide technical support for related conferences, workshops, and national meetings.
- Design and orally present seminars at user workshops and research conferences around the world
- Collaborate with potential customers on experiments.
- Perform materials characterization measurements and prepare reports for prospective customers.
- Interface with our worldwide customer service, sales, and marketing teams to answer technical specification and measurement-related questions.
- Resolve customer application/measurement-related problems by finding solutions through experimentation and a fundamental understanding of the instrument. - Create and improve presentation materials, application notes, training guides, brochures, and videos.
- Ph.D. in physics or other related fields with experience in materials research with a focus on measurements. - Strong oral and written communication skills and a desire to teach. - Strong problem-solving skills and an organized, results-focused approach. - Willing to travel domestically and internationally. - Enjoy working on a team and have the ability to pursue several projects in parallel.
- Have extensive measurement experience with a wide variety of physical property measurements and microscopy (e.g. AFM, SEM) instrumentation.
Quantum Design, Inc. (QD) is the manufacturing arm of Quantum Design International (QDI) and has been located in San Diego, California since its inception in 1982. QD is the leading commercial source for automated materials characterization systems incorporating superconducting technology. These systems offer a variety of measurement capabilities and are in widespread use in the fields of physics, chemistry, biotechnology, materials science and nanotechnology.Check out our website at www.qdusa.com for more information.
The APS Physics Job Center has listings for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as an engineer, experimental physicist, physics faculty, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.