Because this role involves a combination of collaborative/in-person and independent work, it will take the form of a hybrid work format, with time split between working onsite and remotely.
BAE Systems is seeking innovative, technically versatile candidates to join our research-and-development team. We focus on cutting-edge Electro-Optical Infrared (EO/IR) sensors, lasers, and sensing systems. The successful candidate will be a technical individual contributor with opportunities to grow into a team lead responsible for developing and demonstrating next-generation EO/IR sensors, systems, and techniques. Projects range from initial concept development through full system demonstration in relevant environments.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Model, analyze, and test EO/IR systems and components for a variety of military/commercial applications.
- Execute and analyze EO/IR laboratory and field experiments.
- Develop and demonstrate advanced algorithms, measurement techniques, and systems prototypes.
- Lead small interdisciplinary teams to meet program technical and schedule goals
- Develop proposals for novel technologies, algorithms, or systems.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status and eligibility to obtain a US security clearance.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- BS in Physics, Optics, Electro-Optics, Electrical Engineering (EE), or equivalent with 8+ years of experience working with complex EO/IR systems; or MS with 6+ years of experience; or Ph.D. with 4+ years of experience in the areas defined above.
- US Citizen with active Secret clearance.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software and systems engineers.
- Experience working independently and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more optical system specialties; i.e. lasers, precision pointing of laser beams, design of pointing systems, performance testing of optical components and subsystems, atmospheric correction, optical communications, etc.
- Expertise in at least one optical application including infrared countermeasures, passive detection and tracking, LIDAR, coherent LIDAR, remote sensing, or laser communications.
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle
- Modeling and simulation expertise in at least one common language (i.e. MATLAB, Mathcad, Mathematica, Python, C++, etc.)
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Advanced degree in Physics, Optics, or Electro-Optics.
- Active Top Secret clearance.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.