Because this role involves a combination of collaborative/in-person and independent work, it will take the form of a hybrid work format, with time split between working onsite and remotely.
BAE Systems is looking for a Machine Learning/Computer Vision Scientist to join our Autonomy, Processing, and Exploitation (APEX) product line. In this role, you will participate in cutting-edge machine learning and image/video exploitation research impacting real-world problems to keep our country safe!
Who we are:
BAE Systems’ APEX product line is a leading multidisciplinary R&D organization that includes a focus on sense-making analytics for multi-modal and multi-domain situational understanding and dedicated to meeting critical U.S. military needs. APEX is the video and image processing innovation engine for all of BAE Systems North America, yet it runs more like a bespoke firm. It’s the best of both worlds--combining a small-company feel, in a research laboratory setting, with access to a large company’s resources, technology transition paths, and customer base. APEX executes a variety of scientific and engineering R&D efforts for the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Intelligence Community (IC). Join us in making a direct real-world impact through tackling amazing R&D challenges in the following technology areas:
- Automatic target recognition (ATR)
- Multi-modal image processing and fusion (e.g., EO, IR, SAR)
- Object detection, tracking, and classification
- Machine learning and AI
- EO, IR, SAR, and Hyperspectral phenomenology
- Target signature generation, modeling, and simulation
- Registration and stabilization of signals and imagery from multiple modalities
- Real-time algorithm optimization and acceleration
- DoD and IC mission understanding
What we offer:
- Exciting machine learning and video/image exploitation research
- Exceptional teammates and mentors
- Opportunities to learn and grow
- A fun workplace, excellent benefits, and every other Friday off
Who you are:
We are looking for a researcher/scientist to develop advanced video, image, and spectral exploitation algorithms through the application of cutting-edge machine learning, computer vision, and statistical signal processing methods. As part of a team of researchers, software engineers, and systems engineers, you will research solutions developed in-house or published in scientific literature, create prototypes (typically in MATLAB or Python), apply algorithms to new datasets and perform data analysis, assist with real-time algorithm development (typically in C++ and CUDA), and support demonstration and transition of new technology from R&D to BAE Systems’ business areas and customers. You have excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
Your contributions will help develop new and existing customer relationships at DARPA, Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), Army Night Vision and Electronic Sensors Directorate (NVESD), Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the Intelligence Community (IC) in areas relating to ATR and other video/image exploitation applications. Additionally you may:
- Design, develop, execute, and implement research projects involving complex sub-systems
- Lead or participate in external project interactions with customers, other companies and academic institutions
- Provide technical reporting, documentation, and support briefing customers on technical concepts
- Author/co-author external publications (conference papers/presentations, journal articles, and books)
- Generate ideas for potential proposals and support writing technical sections of proposals
This position will be based out of our Durham, NC facilities though it will require collaboration with staff across our business areas and facilities. Some travel required.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status and eligibility to obtain a US security clearance.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of professional research experience, Master’s degree with 2 years, or Doctorate with research experience is required.
Technically knowledgeable in one or more of the following domain areas:
- Automatic target recognition
- Machine learning
- Computer vision
- Multi-modal exploitation and fusion
Algorithm development and software skills in the following areas:
- Advanced experience with software prototype development tools such as MATLAB or Python
- Experience with object-oriented programming languages such as C++
- Machine learning, deep learning, and/or computer vision algorithms
- Designing, developing, implementing, and assessing novel algorithms
Eligible for a SECRET clearance.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Preferred Education: M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
Capability and experience in one or more of the following areas is also desirable:
- Advanced C++ software development (e.g., implementing/optimizing real-time algorithms)
- Experience with common deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- Parallel computing and algorithm acceleration/optimization using CUDA for Nvidia GPUs
- Embedded software development and algorithm deployment (e.g., Nvidia SoC)
- Software and system integration, test, and demonstration experience
Record of publications will be viewed favorably
Active TOP SECRET/SCI clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.